ISKCON Portland offers Vedic purificatory ceremonies a.k.a Saṃskāras to be performed at the temple or at your home. Our priests are highly qualified and trained in performing Vedic rituals and they have deep understanding of the Vedic literatures and Vaisnava philosophies. They are proficient in explaining every rite and ritual with proper context.
The Vedic literatures describe many opportunities for a human being - right before the time of birth to after death - when one may perform a ceremony for purification to evoke auspiciousness and ensure advancement in spiritual life.
Our founder āchārya HDG A.C. Bhakti Vedānta Swāmi Srila Prabhupāda said that "the purpose of saṁskāras is to gradually bring a person who has no knowledge of spiritual life to the spiritual platform. As it is said, saṁskārād bhaved dvijaḥ, by the purificatory processes, one attains spiritual rebirth. That is essential."
We welcome you to contact us with your inquiries by emailing us at:
Type of Saṃskāra/Ceremonies
- Sīmantonnayana (baby shower)
- Nāmakaraṇa (ceremony of naming a child)
- Annaprāśana (ceremony of feeding solid food to baby for first time)
- Cūḍākaraṇa a.k.a mundan saṃskāra(Baby’s first haircut)
- Upanayana(Sacred thread ceremony)
- Vivāha (Marriage ceremony)
- Gṛhapravēśa and Vāstu puja (ceremony of moving into a new house)
- Deity Installation
- Śrīmad Bhāgavatam Installation
For any other ceremonies or puja, please contact temple at [email protected]